Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Czeching in and out...oh and I saw Michael Caine

The past few days have certainly been filled of some crazy memories...
Thursday I jetted off to Prague, by myself.  I ventured to Luton airport where I had to sit FOREVER because my flight got delayed.  I finally got on my flight where I was surrounded by stag parties who were so excited to get to Prague and all I wanted to do was read my book and nap because it was after 9 at night. (yes I know I am a loser).  Well I finally made it to Prague and ran to catch the final bus of the night, without buying a ticket, but this is when I first learned that they don't check tickets on any Prague public transportation unless the cops decide to go and fine people.  So I made it to Liz, Bree and Gabby's place for the night.
Friday I woke up early with everyone because they had a big presentation and I headed out to go site-seeing.  I took Liz's Prague book with me and found Wallenstein Palace, Prague Castle, some random parks, then wondered around the Jewish Quarter where I got really lost, but it's okay.  Because I found Old Town Square and the most expensive street in all of Prague and went shopping at Hermes and Cartier...okay just kidding but I wished I did.  But I found a Kosher Restaurant and got some falafel and then ventured more in the Jewish Quarter and saw the oldest synagogue in Europe.  Prague is honestly the most beautiful city I have ever seen (minus Tzaft, Israel).  I then came back to the "dorm" and hung out with everyone, ate dinner at a traditional Czech pub, then I fell asleep really early.  So then Saturday we got up really early and saw everything else in Prague that I didn't see the day before, and I was with everyone instead of by myself.  We walked on Charles Bridge, went in some Cathedrals, ate some pizza, saw the big clock, got lost some more, and went back to the dorm and ate dinner and got ready for the pub crawl.  The pub crawl was so much fun and I of course flocked to the British guys on it because I seem to think I identify with them now.
Then Sunday we went to Bohemia Bagel (the start of our pub crawl the night before) to get lunch and our free tshirts from the pub crawl.  Then I headed to the airport.  I either got off the bus at the wrong stop or the bus just drops you off in the middle of nowhere.  But I somehow managed to find my way by reading the czech street signs.  And the rest of my travels were uneventful because I made it back perfectly fine.
Oh and one interesting Prague story.  Friday I went and got some souvenirs for the family only to see that A. they didn't give me Brent's snow globe and B. they didn't give me a receipt.  So I went back the next day and told them that I paid for it and didn't get it, and they just wrapped it up and gave it to me.  If I was in America, that would NEVER have happened.
When I got back into London I went with Julia and her parents to DaMario's, Princess Diana's favorite Italian restaurant this is around the corner from me, where we ran into some of the boys after their venture to Greenwich.  Then we went to a pub for some drinks and uncivilized conversations.
Monday I went to work and then didn't have class so Christy and I went to the red carpet premiere for the Dark Knight.  It was so cool.  We saw the bat mobile drive around for 10 minutes and then Michael Caine and Maggie Ghyllenhall (sorry about my spelling), Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart, McFly, and some guy named John that's famous but I don't know who he is.  We staked out on chairs at Garfunkel's and watched the red carpet for a while and then came home.
Today I had work, where 2 of the bosses jetted off for the day to Germany for an hour meeting.  Isn't it crazy that people can just go to Germany for an hour meeting?  Well then after work I met Elise for a delicious Chinese dinner.  And then now we just sang happy birthday to Julia because she just turned 21!  Can't wait to celebrate tomorrow!
Thing I've learned:
1.  People think I can't spell my name correctly because I say "h" wrong in England
2.  Prague people aren't very nice
3.  My cousin just had a baby girl!!  Congrats Marlee!!
4.  People smoke too much in Europe so now my clothes smell like smoke because they have no smoking laws in Prague
5.  Even though I carried around a tour book in Prague, people still thought I was a native.  I guess I really do look like an Eastern European.

No comments: