Tuesday, August 5, 2008

52 stars?? Really??

Someone at work today told me there were 52 stars on the US flag.  I was in shock.  It was seriously the only time that someone said something about america that wasn't true.  They seem to know EVERYTHING here, but this definitely caught me off guard.
Okay recap of the past few days...
Sunday
Christy and I woke up early and headed to St. Paul's Cathedral for church.  Yes that's right.  I, Halli Levy, went to a church service.  It was very interesting, especially since it was held in one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world.  It's where Princess Diana was married.  The only strange thing was when the priest started relating an ignorant comment someone made about boobs to how the person ACTUALLY meant that they think the cathedral is as pretty as boobs.  I totally think he pulled that out of left field.  After the cathedral we headed to Brick Lane, got some falafel, met an English guy in US Army fatigues, got a recipe for falafel from him, saw a stolen Old Navy sweatshirt for sale, and got caught in the rain.  So then we headed to King's Cross and finally got our picture at Platform 9 3/4!!  YAY HARRY POTTER!!!  Then we went for tea at Kensington Palace at the Orangery.  I can't believe it took me all summer to go!  Then we came home, went for our last Wagamama meal, and had a little jean washing party because we didn't want to pay 5 pounds just to wash our jeans.  Needless to say, it was quite humorous and we almost stained the bathtub blue.
Monday
Came in a little late to work because my train decided to terminate at Putney Bridge which is 4 stops before mine.  So I had to take the bus which took FOREVER.  And since I was last, I had to make the tea.  Surprisingly, I didn't drop the tray (I'm 3 for 3!!!).  We had 2 presentations today.  One from shortlist, a men's magazine, which was interesting.  Then we had one from Gorilla Nation.  This was by far the worst one I've seen all summer.  They talked forever, but when I say "they," I really mean just the guy JP because he kept cutting off the other guy.  I did get a free notebook and pen and Starbucks muffin, but it was so boring and they were talking about internet stuff that I didn't understand, and neither did anyone else.  But then I left for class right after.  It was our last class (woohoo), and we got 10 pounds because they never spent it on outside activities for us.  I finally got an A on my final paper!  After class, Julia, Jen and I decided to spend our 10 pounds at my favorite Earl's Court pub, O'Neills.  We got a pitcher of a delicious cocktail, some irish stew and played quiz night,which we lost terribly.
Tuesday
Went to work on a very dreary and rainy day.  Had a good day overall.  I finally finished my presentation, which I will present tomorrow, and learned some stuff about media and helped with other presentations.  It's so weird to think that in 2 days I won't be working there anymore.  I really love my internship and the people are a lot of fun.

Things I've learned:
1.  I will never master the European way of eating with a fork and knife
2.  I have absolutely no clue what is going on in the states right now with movies (i.e., didn't know about Pineapple Express)
3.  I'm still trying to understand what a "re-skin is"
4.  People are still obsessed with Team America here.
5.  Whitney Houston made a song for the LA Olympics.

Okay, time to enjoy the end of my trip!  I'm really going to miss London!

No comments: