Saturday, August 2, 2008

I played "baseball" in London

Okay I put quotes around it because the baseball I played was a combination of baseball, softball and rounders.  Quite amusing I must say, but I will get there in a minute.
Sunday
Christy, Jen and I took a train to Windsor for the day.  We really lucked out on the weather for the day because it was ht and gorgeous out.  We ate lunch on the river at a restaurant called Brown's (like the Cleveland Browns!) and I ran into one of the women from work (small world!).  So then we ventured to the castle and walked around with an audio guide (not as good as the Westminster one) and saw everything except the Cathedral, which is like the main attraction but it is closed on Sundays for worship!  It was really pretty and we saw this huge dollhouse that was so intricate.  And we saw the staterooms where the main halls are and the guests are entertained (aka really important people).  There was a hall that had all the knights' coat of arms and the ones who were stripped of their titles had their coat of arms painted over in white.  How embarrassing!
Monday
Had a normal day at work.  They all thought I went on another crazy trip and were surprised when I said I only went to Windsor on Sunday.  Then I went to class where I turned in my last paper, so some of us went for a drink at the pub at our school to celebrate.
Tuesday
More work, can't remember if anything exciting happened.
Wednesday
Worked again, got drinks with work, and then went to Ice Bar with some of the girls.  It is a bar made of ice and they give you an eskimo coat and you can only stay in there for 40 minutes.  You get one drink and the glass is made of ice.  Then we went to O'Neills for some live music.
Thursday
Great day at work.  I got to leave early with two of the people from work and go shopping for drinks and food for our Softball game against one of our clients in Hyde Park.  I wore my Indians shirt and they all assumed I had amazing baseball skills (they admired my stance!  I told them my dad would be so proud!).  So we played "baseball."  It was really confusing for everyone because they combined their rounders rules and American baseball rules into our own game.  It was a lot of fun, but I am definitely still sore.  We then headed to a pub and hung out for the rest of the night.
Friday
Went to work and went out for lunch with everyone to another client's restaurant, Wagamama.  The had a normal day in the office with lots of laughs.  They made me do my terrible British accent.  And I made tea for everyone for the second time (I finally overcame my fear).  Then I came home and went to Fabric with my flatmates.  It's this crazy and famous club with 3 rooms and one even has a bass in the floor.  We then ventured home on the buses and met some interesting people at the bus stops and got invited to see the "dogs" (greyhounds) the next night because "it was the last night in London that the place was open."
Saturday
Got up and went with Julia to Hyde Park for our paddle boat date.  It was so much fun!  Then we met up with Christy and Lauren to go to Borough Market.  We got the same food again (mmmm) and then headed to Harrod's.  I can't believe I waited so long to go there.  It was so neat and there was every designer imaginable.

Things I've learned:
1.  The British love using American accents
2.  Champagne Cider is ridiculously strong
3.  The Queen hated Princess Diana
4.  Part of Windsor Castle burned down in a fire
5.   It's really hard to teach baseball.

No comments: