Saturday, August 9, 2008

Have 3 months really gone by??

I guess I'm still in disbelief that I'm leaving tomorrow for the states.  Like Marylyn said, it feels like when we get back to the states that no time will have passed and it will be May 17th.  I guess I'm in denial that this summer is over.  But I have truly enjoyed the last few weeks and this whole summer.  I love it here in London, despite the weather.
Ok quick recap...
Wednesday
Went to work and got lunch with some of the girls from work and then gave my presentation that I've been working on most of the summer to the company.  It was funny telling them about Great Britain because they live there and didn't know some of the stuff I told them.  We then headed to Wimbledon Village for my goodbye drinks.  It was so much fun being with everyone.  They made me gave a speech and I tried to not be sappy, but it's hard.  I've spent 2 months working with these people and they have taught me so much.  It soon moved onto a pretty crazy night and there are no words to describe the fun we had.
Thursday
Went to work for the last time.  It was hard to tell myself that this will be the last morning I go to work because I didn't believe it.  I went to lunch with a bunch of people from the office and then we came back and I had my exit interview with Steph.  It was very humbling hearing all of her feedback.  And the best part of it was when she told me that they would love for me to come back and work after graduation in December!  It really hasn't set in yet and everyone else seems really excited when I tell them, but I'm still in disbelief.  I guess that's why I don't feel like I'm saying goodbye forever, because there is a very big chance that I will be back.  After my meeting, we went upstairs and I sat down at my computer to keep working, and Nick said "Halli..."  and I guess I looked scared because I thought I did something wrong because he then said "Don't look scared.  This isn't a bad thing...and then he gave a nice speech and gave me a card and gift from everyone at AdConnection.  They got me a GORGEOUS watch. I was in shock.  All I got them was a card to share!  I'm terrible!  Saying goodbye to everyone was so weird because it's hard to believe that I see the same people everyday and I won't see them either ever again or for a few months.  After work I went for drinks with the people who couldn't go the night before.  And then rode the tube home with Lucy for one last time.  We met some turkish men on the tube who wouldn't stop talking to us.  Pretty funny, but I guess you had to be there.
Friday
Woke up early and went to Oxford Circus one more time for some gift shopping and a last stop at Primark.  Then I met Julia at the Imperial War Museum.  It was really neat and had a Holocaust exhibit and a Trench experience and Blitz experience.  Then we grabbed lunch and headed to the Westminster Pier for the boat to Greenwich with everyone.  It was neat seeing the city from the Thames.  When we got to Greenwich, we went to the Prime Meridian and stood in 2 hemispheres at once!  It was a lot of fun and we got a great view of London from the top of the hill.  Then, Christy, Julia, Aly and I decided to roll down the big hill.  It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip.  I won the race to the bottom!  Then we went to a pub for our last fish and chips, and caught the last boat back to London.  The ride back was fun because we sat on the top and had a hilarious Australian tour guide.  And we got to see Tower Bridge open,  for one of the few times of the year, for a larger boat.  Then most of the girls went out to a pub in Carnaby Street for some drinks for the night.
Saturday
Woke up and headed to Portobello road with Julia, Christy and Jen.  Made some good purchases and enjoyed the lovely rainy, cold, crowded atmosphere.  I got my last Hummingbird Bakery red velvet cupcake!  I'm going to miss those!  Then we met up with Kaylin and went to Abbey Road and did our Beatles picture, like 5 times, and Julia got to be Paul without shoes.  Then we came home and packed.  Not fun.  But I'm all packed now, and am NOT ready to leave!  But we're getting ready to go to dinner drinks one last time at a pub around South Kensington and then we leave at 11 am tomorrow!  AHH!!  I really cannot believe I'm leaving!
Things I've learned:
1.  Never say mocha with a long "o" in London
2.  Cars hate tourists on Abbey Road
3.  I can survive in a flat for 13 weeks with 5 other girls, one bathroom and two bedrooms.
4.  Some English people say bathroom
5.  I was made to live in this city.
So this is my last post in London.  I hope you've enjoyed following my adventures in London and Europe.  Stay tuned for my top ten favorite parts of the summer (it will be hard to do, I promise) and see you in the states soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, followed you - well, from time to time - for the duration. Glad you spent part of your last day in my neighbourhood!

Sorry about the weather and safe journey back.

A/